Alzheimer Society Southwest Partners
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Fund Development, the Communications Specialist will support the implementation of the annual communications plan. Role responsibilities will include website management, social media, graphic design, and writing in a variety of formats to promote the activities of the Society. The successful candidate will be a strong designer and communicator who can compassionately tell the organization’s story with good judgment, sensitivity and tact. As a key member of the Communications and Fund Development team, this role will work in close collaboration with all departments to build awareness of programs, services and events, positioning the Society as the leading dementia support organization in the region.
Position title: Communications Specialist
Location: Alzheimer Society Southwest Partners – Middlesex, Elgin, or Oxford Location as a main site with some travel to all.
Status: Full-Time, Permanent 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend work required.
You are an enthusiastic, highly organized person with a passion for working in communications. You have experience with website management, social media, graphic design and writing a variety of formats of promotion. You enjoy working with a multi-disciplinary team and utilize your excellent interpersonal skills. You are a natural with technology/computer programs and your written and verbal communication skills are first-rate. You are an individual with a demonstrated ability to deliver accuracy and attention to detail in your work. You manage your time well and you can problem-solve through challenging situations. Knowledge of Alzheimer’s and other Dementias is an asset.
- Developing and designing promotional material for digital and traditional platforms (web, social media, newsletters, posters, presentations, events, programs etc.)
- Developing and delivering creative and effective communications and social media plans
- Managing the AlzSWP website (content, analytics, structure) and other digital assets including social media oversight
- Skilled copy editor, as needed
- Staying up to date on design trends and latest digital design software
- Maintain a consistent look and feel across all print and digital platforms that represents the organization well and is brand compliant
- Provide guidance on materials (presentations, education) that may be developed by other departments
- Support communications needs for programs and services, fund development and volunteer initiatives
- Under the guidance of the Manager of Communications and Fund Development liaise between clinical program staff and clients to tell the dementia and AlzSWP story
- Maintaining communications editorial calendar
- Media tracking and archiving
Evaluations and Other Responsibilities: (if applicable)
- Communications related key performance metrics
- Annual performance review with the Manager of Communications and Fund Development
- Successful completion of a university degree or college diploma in communications, marketing, public relations or similar field.
- 2-3 years experience in a communications role, preferably in not-for-profit sector.
- Exceptional writing and verbal communications skills, strong design and content creation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to a variety of different audiences, in various platforms and channels.
- Hands-on experience developing and implementing social media strategies, digital advertising experience an asset.
- Understanding of digital metrics, knowledgeable about common measurement tools in the industry and the interpretation of analytical data.
- Technical SEO knowledge and analyzing/interpreting keyword and analytics data.
- Experience in digital, web and print design with a demonstrable understanding of design principals.
- Strong proficiency using Adobe Creative Cloud with an emphasis on InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; working knowledge of Canva and Promo an asset.
- Experience using website content management software (WordPress); a working knowledge of HTML and CSS an asset.
- Knowledge of photography and video production (shooting/editing/storytelling) an asset.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail and quality while managing multiple projects.
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff, volunteers, donors, and external organizations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 suite.
- Flexibility—the person in this position will be required to attend Alzheimer Society and external events, some of which occur outside of regular work hours.
- Valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle.
*If selected for an interview you will be required to present a strong portfolio showing the breadth of your design (digital and otherwise) capabilities
Interested applicants will submit a complete application package including cover letter and resume in .pdf format to: email@example.com (with the job title listed in the subject line).
All applicants will be screened based on receiving a complete application package and according to the qualifications listed in the posting. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Commitment to Equitable Recruitment:
The Alzheimer Society of Ontario recognizes the value and dignity of each individual and ensures everyone has genuine, open, and unhindered access to employment opportunities, free from any barriers, systemic or otherwise. We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive work environment, where the rights of all individuals and groups are protected and all members feel safe, respected, empowered, and valued for their contributions.
Our values include justice and connection and are the guideposts we use for decision-making of all kinds. We believe that this will guide the organization toward a place of inclusion for all – where equity and access to essential supports and services becomes the reality.
We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Human Rights Code and AODA. The Alzheimer Society of Ontario welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity and social justice and we encourage applications from First Nations, Inuit and Métis, Indigenous Peoples of North America, Black and persons of colour, persons with disabilities, people living with dementia, care partners and those who identify as LGBTQ2S+.
Organizational Overview: The Alzheimer Society Southwest Partners actively supports families and individuals affected by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. We advocate for and provide support services, education, and funding for research for those affected by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
Our Vision: A world without Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
Our Mission: To alleviate the personal and social consequences of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia’s and to promote research.
Our Values: Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
Infection Prevention and Control & COVID-19 Considerations: This position will require consistent wearing of proper PPE and completing education in proper Public Health guidelines surrounding PPE and Covid-19 protocols. The Society requires that you be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, subject to any accommodation obligations you may have under human rights legislation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org