Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc
Primary responsibility of the Lifeguard / Instructor is to assist with the effective and safe delivery of swim programs and pool services at the Strathroy-Caradoc Fair Grounds Aquatic Park. The Lifeguard/Instructor shall work under the supervision of the Aquatic Supervisor or his/her designate. The Lifeguard/Instructor shall work in a cooperative and positive team effort with all other staff, customers, and stakeholders for the successful delivery of Department programs and recreation facilities.
Position: Lifeguard / Instructor (Seasonal)
Department: Community Services
Reports to: Aquatic Supervisor
- Supervision and instruction of Aquatic Park patrons.
- Assist with the department’s high standard of customer service by providing excellent service, quality and value.
- Instruction and delivery of aquatic programs according to Lifesaving Society and Red Cross standards. Delivery of public swimming programs and other special aquatic events in a safe and attentive manner.
- Ensure the safe day-to-day operation of the Aquatic Park including general housekeeping and custodial duties, and administrative duties when necessary. Required to report unusual occurrences to on-duty supervisor. Required to maintain the pool in a safe and clean manner.
- Perform proper record keeping including applicable records such as lesson attendance/report cards, incident reports, pool fouling reports, etc. in accordance with Ontario 565 regulations or updated regulations if applicable.
- Must participate in beginning of season training as well as two in-service staff training sessions (or otherwise complete monthly task checklist to ensure rescue saving skills are to a satisfactory standard specific to the facility).
- Assist cashier with admission policy standards (explaining policy, helping band patrons, explaining rules to camps) when necessary and available without detracting from primary duties as a lifeguard/instructor.
- Responsible for knowing, following and enforcing all Aquatic Park policies and procedures. Staff are encouraged to bring ideas forward that can improve the overall operation of the Aquatic Park.
- Perform duties as asked by the on-duty Supervisor and fairly share day-to-day tasks with all team members.
- May be required to work outside and beyond the normal hours of work.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Must possess the following aquatic qualifications (by season’s opening):
o Lifesaving Society’s National Lifeguard – Pool Certification.
o Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification.
o Standard First Aid/CPR-C Certification.
o Lifesaving Society’s Lifesaving Instructor, First Aid Instructor, Bronze Examiner Certifications considered an asset.
o Must be physically able to perform the requirements of the position – this is tested both at the beginning of the season during training as well as during the season in-service training.
- Experience in delivery of aquatic programs and services considered an asset.
- Exceptional customer service, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Energetic, positive attitude and ability to work independently.
- Valid class “G” Ontario’s driver’s license considered an asset.
- Ability to work day, evening, weekend and on-call shifts.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check required prior to starting employment.
Wage: $15.18 – $18.97 per hour – (Band 1)
This posting will be open until filled. Qualified candidates are invited to e-mail their cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for employment purposes. The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org