Women’s Rural Resource Centre of Strathroy and Area (WRRC) is a non-profit agency whose mandate is to support women and children whose lives have been impacted by woman abuse. We provide counselling, transition support, advocacy, residential services, public education, advocacy, and second stage housing.
Our team of dedicated support workers, counsellors and advocates work to support women who are living with violence in their lives. We support women and their children to be safe and make good decisions for their families – we offer a helping hand and the support they need. We also work with people who hurt and are looking for an opportunity to change their patterns of violence and live in peace with their family.
WRRC is seeking a strong woman-centered Children’s Advocate for a full-time opportunity beginning early September 2017.
Summary: Reporting to the Manager of Program Development and the Manager of Operations, and working closely with the Children’s Program team, the Children’s Advocate is accountable for supporting the needs of mothers and their children at WRRC. This support may include psycho-educational counselling, facilitating groups, and advocating for increased community supports and services for parents and children.
1. Offer individual counselling and provide appropriate referrals, to women, children and youth who may benefit from support achieving healthy, vibrant, and safer relationships.
2. Develop, implement, lead, and evaluate appropriate group programming for children and/or youth and their families accessing children’s program services.
3. Provide leadership within WRRC for supporting caregivers with concerns related to their child’s experience of and exposure to unhealthy relationships, woman abuse, child abuse and trauma.
4. Promote healthy relationships and safer communities through advocacy on a community level for services for children and youth.
5. Assume responsibility and management for ongoing personal and professional development, in concert with the clinical lead and consistent with agency policies and procedures.
6. Participate in on-going clinical supervision with the Children’s Program Team.
CYW Diploma preferred; or equivalent relevant post-secondary education and experience
Minimum 2-5 years of related work experience
Experience with art/play therapeutic interventions an asset
Experience with children’s mental health an asset
Clear current Police and Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
Clean driver’s abstract
Access to a reliable vehicle and proof of adequate insurance
Valid driver’s license
CPR, Frist Aid and therapeutic crisis intervention program
Superior skills in communication and listening, conflict resolution, crisis intervention and assessment.
Solid interpersonal skills with a positive team attitude.
Demonstrated punctuality, organizational and multi-tasking skills and knowledge of office technology and applications.
Good work ethic and initiative with a passion for continued learning and growth.
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours/ week.
Direct Reports: None.
This position may require regular daytime, weekend and evening working hours. This position may occasionally require working outdoors. It may also require working with children with learning needs and/or behavioral challenges. It will require engaging with children and youth in play-based activities appropriate to age, physical, social and developmental ability of clients.
Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Number of Openings: 1
Closing Date: August 22nd, 2017 @ 12:00pm (noon).
Submit Cover Letter and Resume by email to: email@example.com
*Please ensure CL & Resume are saved as ONE .pdf file, titled:
<LAST NAME, First name – Position>
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.*
Follow Women’s Rural Resource Centre on & on @WRRCStrathroy
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org